If your vehicle's engine is operating a higher than normal temperature, or if coolant is puddling beneath your car, bring it in to Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX for the inspection of its cooling system.
An improperly functioning cooling system, especially during the high heat of summer, can produce heat levels high enough to damage the engine itself. For example, excessive engine temperatures can cause head gaskets to blow, aluminum heads to warp, and these are all costly repairs.
Fifth Gear Automotive certified mechanics recommend routine coolant (antifreeze) changes according to the manufacturer’s suggested schedule. Furthermore, an annual auto maintenance and service checkup in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX will reduce the incidence of problems that result in a breakdown. The cooling system receives a consistent work out, and a diligent eye should be maintained on radiator and heater hoses, belts, a sticking thermostat, a clogged radiator, worn fan motors, and water pumps in the cooling system. A Fifth Gear professional mechanic can provide the checkup your vehicle needs and professional auto repair when necessary.
When you bring your car into Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX, the inspections we provide to the cooling system include:
· Check the coolant fluid level and quality. Over time, coolant wears out, and requires replacing on a routine basis to ensure it can perform its job. Without the right amount and quality of the coolant, your engine can overheat in the summer, or freeze during the winter.
· Inspection of the coolant fan by our expert mechanics ensures its proper operation. A fan experiencing unusual noise may be worn and require replacement. Without the fan operating, the vehicle can quickly overheat.
· Our mechanics will inspect all belts on your car. In the cooling system, belts operate the water pump and cooling fan. Worn belts can fail at any time, causing the engine to overheat.
· Checking the thermostat operation can prevent overheating and damage to the cooling system and the engine. A thermostat can stick, typically due to age, and our mechanics can ensure its proper operation.
· A radiator inspection ensures the radiator is clean and capable of providing the cooling the vehicle needs. When the radiator is clogged, our mechanics will provide a radiator flush and cleaning to avoid overheating.
· A cooling system inspection includes checking for coolant leaks from the water pump, hoses, radiator, radiator cap, and engine. In addition, the hoses receive a thorough inspection for signs of wear and deterioration. Softening hoses are one sign you can check for each time you inspect the fluid levels. When hoses begin to soften, it's time to replace them. A convenient time to replace hoses is every other scheduled coolant replacement, or every 4 years. Call today to schedule maintenance service in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX.
Facts about Coolant
Coolant benefits your vehicle in ways other than simply preventing freezing during the winter. Antifreeze also prevents corrosion inside the engine, a task plain water can't provide.
Of course, antifreeze prevents freezing in the winter, but did you know it also protects against overheating in the summer? Plain water can boil in the engine, and antifreeze prevents that. Consequently, repairs due to overheating are also prevented as long as you ensure routine changes of coolant are provided.
Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX offer the automotive services you require for your vehicles cooling system, and a broad range of other automotive services. Our mechanics are certified and experienced to ensure you receive the highest quality services available, and are dedicated to your satisfaction.