Engine Combustion and Exhaust Systems
The engine in your vehicle operates by internal combustion, from which the engine obtains its power. A problem with any single component in the system from the engine to the exhaust can result in poor performance or even damage to the engine. Fifth Gear Automotive certified mechanics can provide the reliable auto exhaust repair and other automotive services you need in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX.
How it Works
It begins with fuel from the gas tank being delivered into the cylinders where it’s mixed with air drawn through the air filter. The spark plug produces a spark from the electrical system which ignites the fuel-air mixture, producing a small, controlled explosion. The explosion forces the piston located in the cylinder up which drives the crankshaft. The residue of the fuel-air mixture and explosion exits through the exhaust system. The exhaust system includes the exhaust manifold, catalytic convertor, muffler, and the tail pipe. This process is repeated thousands of times a minute when the engine runs.
Signs the Exhaust System Needs Repair
The following are signs your vehicle’s exhaust system may need repair in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX :
· When the sound of the engine is loud, often sounding like a motorcycle or riding mower, it’s an indication the vehicle needs a new muffler. Depending on the size and type of engine, other sounds the car may make include a low rumble, or buzzing sound. Generally, whatever the sound, it’s louder. Repair shouldn’t be delayed because the worn muffler may fall from the car and take with it components such as the tail pipe or a costly catalytic converter.
· A noticeable rattle at traffic lights or stop signs may simply indicate a loose mount, but it may also indicate a worn muffler.
· From a personal safety viewpoint, if you or your passengers become sleepy while traveling in the vehicle roll the windows down and proceed immediately to our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX for exhaust repair. You may be sleepy due the faulty exhaust system spilling toxic gases into the passenger compartment.
· Overheating can be due to several issues, including a collapsed catalytic converter. Never drive an overheated vehicle to avoid damage to the engine. If the car overheats and dies, this may be a sign of a collapsed catalytic converter. Don’t risk costly engine damage; have it towed to Fifth Gear auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX for proper identification and repair of the problem.
· The presence of a new engine vibration or loss of power can potentially be due to an exhaust system problem. An exhaust issue may cause the engine to work harder, and the stress on the engine may cause vibrations so intense they can be felt.
· If the vehicle is using more fuel than is normal, there are numerous potential causes, including exhaust system problems. Increased fuel use is a sign something is wrong.
Exhaust Pipe Repair
A loud exhaust system or excessive overheating may also indicate damage to the exhaust pipe. Exhaust pipes can separate, or develop cracks or holes. Overheating when not due to other causes is more indicative of pinched pipe that isn’t allowing adequate passage of heat and exhaust. The deep pot hole you hit that had a metallic sound to it may have been the culprit. Our certified mechanics can take care of the problem for you in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX with an expert exhaust pipe repair.
The Catalytic Converter
The catalytic converter is a costly component of the exhaust system to replace. It’s also one of the most important components from the viewpoint of both your safety and the condition of the engine. A worn catalytic converter can collapse, causing engine damage and potentially the release of toxic gases into the passenger compartment.
It’s not uncommon to discover a problem with the catalytic converter when you take the vehicle in for routine emissions test during the inspection. As the catalytic converter is responsible for breaking down toxic gases from the engine, this component will require replacement if the vehicle is to meet state regulations. Fifth Gear certified mechanics have the expertise to provide the expert and reliable repair you need in our auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX.
What it Does
Exhaust gases are a toxic mix of nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon. The catalytic convertor reduces the pollutants into less harmful nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water, reducing the amount of emissions into the air. The catalytic converter uses chemical reactions to reduce the toxic pollutants through the use of metal planes constructed of metals such as platinum, rhodium or palladium.
Signs of a faulty catalytic converter include a loss of engine power, a sulfur odor in the passenger compartment and a noticeably hot car floor. A failed, failing or damaged converter can only be replaced. In addition, it should be noted that catalytic converters contain precious metals, and are frequently a target of thieves.
Other Exhaust System Repairs
Other common auto exhaust repair services include the replacement of an oxygen sensor and cracked exhaust manifold, which can be due to an overheated and collapsed catalytic converter. A faulty oxygen sensor will reduce gas mileage, and is a fairly inexpensive repair to complete. A cracked exhaust manifold will increase temperatures in the engine and may lead to serious damage to internal components over time. Schedule repair today in Fifth Gear auto repair shops in Lewisville, TX with our certified mechanics.