Child Safety | Mechanics Lewisville, TX
A car seat comes with an instruction manual, though installation isn't always as easy as the manual makes it appear. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 3 out of 4 car seats are improperly installed. An improperly installed car seat places your child at greater risk of injury in the event of an accident. Fifth Gear Automotive mechanics in Lewisville, TX want you and your family to be as safe as possible. The following information regarding child safety will assist you in keeping your children safe.
An infant car seat should be installed in the rear-facing position in the center of the back seat. If your vehicle is a van or station wagon with more than one back seat, place the car seat in the center back seat. Keep your child in a rear-facing car seat for as long as possible, typically until age 2, or when your child reaches the seat's maximum rear-facing height and weight limits. Once your toddler outgrows the rear-facing position, she can ride forward facing, in the middle of the backseat.
Booster seats are for children weighing 40 to 100 pounds, ages 4 to 12 and up to 4 feet 9 inches tall. Booster seats are intended for use with a shoulder and lap belt, preferably in the backseat.
The following tips from safekids.org will assist in ensuring that your car seat is correctly installed:A properly installed car seat won't move more than an inch in any direction when giving it a strong tug. If the car seat moves significantly side to side, front to back or can be tipped, unbuckle it and try again until the seat belt provides a tight fit that holds it securely. If the seat belt remains loose, schedule service with our mechanics in Lewisville, TX.
Inspect the car seat to ensure the harness is buckled securely, and is coming from the correct slots. With your child in place, grasp the strap around your child's shoulder as if you were going to "pinch" the strap into a loop. If you're unable to pinch excess webbing, the seat is correctly installed.
Don't use the seat belt and the lower anchors at the same time. Select the one that provides the best fit for the car seat.
Fifth Gear Automotive cares about your family's safety. If you have concerns regarding your vehicle's car safety contact us to schedule service with our certified mechanics in Lewisville, TX.
Every day in the U.S. nearly 7 children, ages 1 to 14, are injured from a vehicle backing up, with 230 dying each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The safest approach to ensure child safety is to walk completely around the parked vehicle, and looking under the automobile. The extra time it takes to ensure no children are under, behind or in front of a vehicle may save a child's life.
Teach your child to play far from moving or parked vehicles. Ensure they understand not to play in driveways and streets.
When you're around moving vehicles, parking lots, sidewalks and driveways hold firmly to the hand of your young child.
Other Vehicle Dangers
- Power windows can injure fingers, hand, or the head. Teach your children not to play with them, and consider locking the power windows and door locks by activating the lock switch on the driver's door. Ensure the lock operates by testing it. A blown fuse can disable the switch and lead to your child's injury. If your lock requires repair, contact Fifth Gear's mechanics in Lewisville, TX.
- Seat belt entanglement occurs when a seat belt is left with a lot of slack, and the locking feature activates, leading to serious injury or death. A seat belt that won't tighten properly requires repair. Contact our mechanics in Lewisville, TX.
- A curious child may climb into a trunk and be locked inside. Temperatures can quickly rise, leading to suffocation or heatstroke. Vehicles manufactured after 2001 have a glow in the dark trunk release pull. Show your child where this is, and how to operate it.
- Never leave small children in a car unattended. Each year children are injured or die inside vehicles that are too hot or too cold.
- Never slam a door shut, allowing the forward momentum to carry the door's weight. Keep your hand on the door at all times and gently close it. This prevents small hands from being injured. When you have a door than requires adjustment to close without slamming, our mechanics in Lewisville, TX can provide the service.
Receive professional instruction from Safe Kids for correct installation of your child's car seat. In Texas the scheduled events are:
Check Up Event
Safe Kids Greater Dallas
3/7/2015 – 9:00AM-1:00PMWhere:
Flower Mound Police Department
4150 Kirkpatrick Ln.
Flower Mound, TX 75028
Learn more here
Check Up Event
Safe Kids Greater Dallas
3/21/2015 – 9:00AM-1:00PM
201 North Sowers Rd.
Irving, TX 75060
Learn more here
Some events may require advance registration.
Are your seat belts and other safety devices working properly in your automobile? Do your brakes perform less than optimal? If you have concerns regarding your vehicle's safety, or child safety due to problems with a seat belt, contact Fifth Gear's mechanics in Lewisville, TX for professional advice or to schedule car service or auto repair. Fifth Gear Automotive provides a wide range of professional automotive services provided by our certified mechanics in Lewisville, TX.